Monday, April 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!!


Today is my dad's birthday! I really do have the best dad in the world! Here are some of my favorite things about my dad along with some memories.
* I remember my dad teaching us the DANGER of fans when we were kids. One day he said "Don't EVER put your finger in a fan, or this will happen!" ... then he proceeded to push a carrot sick through the moving blades and it chopped it to pieces. LESSON LEARNED!

* Every time I would come home from school to visit we would play our favorite card game, gin, until all hours of the night.
* I worked for his company selling advertising space in one of his publications in So Utah. We would drive up Monday morning and back Friday evening every week for three months. I really enjoyed our chats on our road trips. One time I could not stop talking... he told me his ears were starting to bleed because I was talking to much! I took the hint and slept the rest of the way home. He never said that again!
*I love my dads meatloaf! He is the cook at our house, he is always creating a masterpiece!

* I loved when dad would make us breakfast on the first day of school.
* I HATED when he would come and pour water on my head when I would not get out of bed and I was going to be late for school.
* I love my dads artistic talent - he is an amazing artist. He has drawn some beautiful pictures of my little Stella.
*I love that I'm my dads favorite - if you ask him he wont admit it.. but I know!
* I love to hear the one song he knows on the piano - i think he made it up but its wonderful!
* I love how much he loves his grand kids! Every time I ask if he'll watch Stella he says of course and that he'll put her right to work scrubbing the floors and washing the windows. But we all know that all the kids have him wrapped around their fingers!
* I love his sense of humor.. he is always cracking a joke and making me laugh.
* I love his magic tricks, i just wish he would tell me his secrets. "Once is entertainment, twice is education"
* I love when he would take us bowling when we were kids. We loved Jack and Jill's bowling alley.

* I love watching TV with my dad... we both laugh out loud at the funny parts. Mom thinks we are crazy!
* I loved to go to the pool with my dad as a kid... he would bounce us on his knee and shoot us in the air and we would land in the water.
* I love that he eats ketchup on everything.
* I love his fried potatoes and vegetable medleys
* I hated when he would ALWAYS tell us to turn the lights off behind us, now I actually understand why!

* I love that he always sketches the speakers when we watch general conference.
* I love that he loves me for who I am

* I love that dad gets up at the story telling festival at open mic time
* I love that dad will talk to anyone, anywhere ( I got that from him!)
* I love going to concerts with dad - he loves to dance to the music!
Dad, This list could go on and on. Thanks for being the greatest dad ever! I really do appreciate all that you do! I am who I am because of you and mom. Thanks for all of your love and support through the good and the bad! I love you! Happy 55!

9 comments:

Danielle said...

How sweet, but I especially love the carrot story...that it too funny!

Kristina P. said...

I also love the carrot story. Your dad sounds awesome!

Suzie LeCheminant said...

Happy Birthday Steve! I love it Les, good job. Can I be the favorite psuedo-daughter?

Malma said...

You're dad sounds like a great guy. I love the post you did for him...great idea.
I can't believe Dallin is Sandie's brother!! I've worked with Sandie for over three years and haven't figured that out yet. I totally forgot about Dallin...he was such a riot. Tell him hello for me.

Unknown said...

Oh..your dad is such a great guy! I hope he has the best D-day ever! P.S. that carrot story is about the best ever!

Nicole said...

Your dad sounds like such an awesome guy! It's great you have so many fun memories.

Anonymous said...

Les,
Happy birthday to your dad. I just saw your comment on my blog. I was so excited to hear from you and love your blog. I hope its ok if I had you to my friends! Stella is adorable, I think these are the first pics I've seen since she was born. And, I just saw the post from Matti. What a small world. Keep on stalking, I love hearing from you.

EMPTY NESTERS said...

Leslie, what an incredible read! I hope my own kids can come up with some wonderful stories about their mom and dad. Its good to see and hear about you. It's been a long time. I wish you had accepted those thousands of dollars I offered so you could be my daughter-in-law but it wasn't to be. Joe seems like one of the good guys. Laurie Miller (Dallin's Mom) Love ya!!!!

Whitney, Greg and Kaya said...

you are for sure dad's favorite and he might have admited that to me one time! sad! haha just teasing, but it's true! lots of love!