Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stella loves Fire Trucks

Yesterday we were minding our business and watching Kung Fu Panda (Joe rented it)as a family... when the fire alarm started blaring. At first I thought it was a fluke and no big deal until Joe yelled that there was smoke (coming from behind the dryer) and to get Stella out of the house. We ran outside and I of course call 911. Six minutes later the entourage of police cars, ambulances and a fire truck arrive.... barricade the street and go into my house. Luckily the smoke was caused by lint getting into the wiring behind the dryer and everything is fine. Joe took the fire extinguisher and shot behind the dryer. While I was standing outside in the cold with Stella I was thinking about what I should have grabbed on my way out... wedding ring, camera, laptop, shoes (the cement was really cold)...then I started thinking about how none of that stuff mattered. Everything that was really important was already out of the house - my family. I am very grateful that the situation had a happy ending and that all of our "things" are still where I left them (mostly on the floor - my house is a mess!). It also got me thinking about how lucky I am to have the family that I do. As long as I always have them no matter what I lose life would be okay! Stella cried at the window when the fire truck left.. she thought it was cooler than Sesame Street (and for her that is pretty big)!

5 comments:

Kati said...

Scary! Glad your house survived! You'll have to take Stella for a tour of the fire station now!

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh...how did we miss this? I'm glad everything was OK!

Unknown said...

That is Big Time Scary!! I'm glad everything was okay! I swear I will burn myself to the ground trying to save crap in my house that really doesn't mean anything to me. I'm glad the house didn't burn down!

Hayward Family said...

How scary! I am so glad everyone is ok!!

Ashley, Clay, Eva, Beck, and Cash said...

That is so scary. I was just telling Clay we need to clean out the tubes (I don't know what they're called) from the dryer to the outside of the house. Now I have a story to back me up.