Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Baby Frankenstein

Stella was playing by her toy box that is conveniently located next to the glass door. She loves playing with her toys and she also loves to stand. On Thursday, July 10th she had a little accident. She was standing a little further away from the door than usual and fell and hit her head on the wooden lip that holds the glass in the door. She instantly started to cry. I ran to rescue her only to find that she had split her forehead open above her right eyebrow.

Luckily Joe had just gotten home about five minutes before. I would have been a wreck if I had been alone. Stella stopped crying within thirty seconds after I picked her up, her head was not bleeding too bad but the cut looked pretty deep so we loaded up in the car and headed to the ER. I sat in the back seat with Stella and gave her a bottle, she fell right asleep.



After she was looked at by the doctor it was determined that she had to get five stitches. He said that he did not want to sedate her as it would not take very long to stitch up so we would use the "papoose board". I had no idea what we were in for. The nurse comes over and lays a board on the bed with straps all over it. She take Stella and puts her arms behind her back and put them in a pillow case, then she was strapped to the board so she could not move. She was terrified and could not stop crying... and they had not even started. One nurse held her head still while the other one injected numbing medication. It broke my heart, i was fighting back tears. It was so sad to watch my baby so sad. The doctor came over a few min later and stitched her head up with five little stitches. She was so happy when he was done and she was released from the torture board


.


Five days later we were suppose to return to the ER to have stitches removed. I could not bear taking her back in and making re-live the nightmare of the torture board. I called my doctor and they told me that I could take them out myself (or with the help of some nurse friends). My neighbor Nurse Danielle brought me all the tools necessary for our at home procedure. We waited until Stella was sound asleep to remove them. Joe held the Little munchkin while I removed her stitches (I told him I would take them out since I looked like a crazy scientist with my hair that day).



The Mad Crazy Scientist with the tools.



Daddy and Stella after all the stitches were removed. She slept right through! We are so happy that we took them out at home! For five days Stella's name was changed to Baby Frankenstein. WE LOVE YOU STELL!! Now no more scary falls please!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad she's OK. My nephew climbed up on the drawers of a dresser when he was 2, and had a very nasty bump on his head. Poor little Stella.

Jo said...

That papoose board is horrible for the parents and I always feel bad every time I hear the child screaming when I'm working. You were smart to take them out yourself as it saved you another hospital visit charge :) Plus, you saved Stella more trauma! What an amazing mother you are!

Unknown said...

I am so scared of the Papoose board!! I hope I never have to meet that fiend! I think your hair was cute not crazy scientisty! Glad Stella slept through the removal!

Whitney, Greg and Kaya said...

LOL! You totally look like a crazy mad scientist! I love you! you are fun! muah!

Hayward Family said...

How Tramautizing!! (spelling?) I'm glad she is ok!! She really is the CUTEST baby ever!!